Question:
Thinkin of moving to San Antonio. Do i need to worry about hurricane, twisters, or hail??
2006-04-29 19:29:03 UTC
Thinkin of moving to San Antonio. Do i need to worry about hurricane, twisters, or hail??
Fourteen answers:
coreylj
2006-04-29 21:32:18 UTC
Not really twisters, but a lot of squall lines come through San Antonio especially in the spring and summer. They form over the hill country and can have strong winds and hail. Hurricanes aren't a big deal here, but they or tropical storms can become stalled over San Antonio once they come in from the Gulf. I've lived here for twenty years and about every 5 years there's a major flood.
2006-04-29 20:43:44 UTC
THERE ARE TWISTERS ALL OVER TEXAS. I DON'T EVER REMEMBER HEARING OF ONE HITTING ON SAN ANTONIO. THERE IS ONE MENTIONED THAT HAPPENED IN 1930. IN SEARCHING I CAME ACROSS THIS LITTLE BLURB ON CLIMATE. I THINK THE AREA WHERE TWISTERS ARE MORE COMMON ARE WHERE TORNADO ALLEY IS AND I THINK THATS UP CLOSE TO THE NORTHERN BORDER-RED RIVER AREA AND AS YOU GO SOUTH THE FREQUENCY DROPS OFF. I'LL DEFER TO SOMEBODY LIKE NOAH WHO WOULD KEEP RECORDS ON THAT, I BELIEVE.

Climate

Courtesy: San Antonio Convention and Visitors Bureau

In 1691 Spanish explorers discovered what Native Americans called Yanaguana, the "refreshing waters" of a river. They promptly named that river "San Antonio," in honor of the feast day of St. Anthony.

Historic descriptions of the scenery include a lush landscape of wild grapes and cypress trees. While the setting paints a beautiful picture, if it is at all true, credit can only be given to the river itself, for the climate would not allow it.

San Antonio only sees a modest 29 inches of average annual precipitation. That's enough to grow crops, but not enough to produce a thriving terrain. Only a few inches of deficiency in a year can result in crop-devastating drought.

Although no month is particularly wet, December through March are the driest. January sees an average of 1.6 inches as opposed to May, which picks up 4.

Thunderstorms generally strike from April through September. Hail beats down on San Antonio during the spring. Winter precipitation falls mostly in the form of light rain and drizzle, though snow graces the land about once every three or four years.

Temperatures run the gamut from the single figures to triple digits. Over the last 48 years, the mercury rose as high as 108 degrees Fahrenheit and hit its lowest mark at 0.

Tropical cyclones can even affect the city. One of the fastest wind gusts ever recorded was 74 mph, thanks to a tropical storm in August of 1942. But the old enemy of Bexar County is the tornado. One per year has struck, on average, since 1953. The strongest twister this county has seen hit in 1953. It was an F4, with winds estimated between 207 and 260 mph.

I DID FIND MORE GOOD STUFF AT THIS WEBSITE BUT IT DOESN'T COPY VERY WELL. IT SPLITS IN TO TWO PIECES. TRY IT. SPELLCHECK ISN'T WORKING NOW EITHER.

http://www.texas-

ec.org/publications/texascooppower/archive/499sports.aspx
Roosterkroozer
2006-05-05 22:00:38 UTC
Worry more about flooding and that sort of stuff. I lived there for five years, was outside in TWO F1 category tornados (small ones) that knocked down lots of leaves off trees, and enjoyed great weather most of the time. Hurricanes travel inland for several hundred miles, but you don't really have to worry about them in San Antonio. For some reason they tend to miss the city. You shouldn't worry about the weather there. I hope this helps you, but the heat in the summer is the worst part of being there. Otherwise, enjoy the Alamo City, take in the sights, and enjoy America's friendliest city.
aprilmccauley123
2006-04-29 20:22:25 UTC
I think twisters are a big deal and hail hurricanes are possilbe but not likely
2006-05-01 22:49:37 UTC
it floods every once in a while down there (that's where I'm originally from) like in the flood of Oct 2000. but really you don't need to worry about anything else. the guy who said get a basement is an idiot- they don't make them in houses in San Antonio! it's all rock and clay down here-no way to put a basement in.
koznut
2006-05-02 11:51:22 UTC
yieh,...not really...it floods here once in a while...

um, people can't drive in the rain...all 30 inches a year that we get...

it's really hot, but not as humid as the southeast coast...

um, it's a spralling city...but, the weather is basically a perpetual summer...with your occassional thunderstorm.

I've never seen anything you've mentioned in my 4 years here (though, hail did hit about 2 hours north of here, about a week ago)...
2006-05-05 08:10:14 UTC
Yes.You do need to worry about all of those.You should watch the news and you will know what is going on.And just for safety:If there is a severe thunderstorm do not park in front of any basketball hoop because my sister parked in front of one and the basketball hoop fell on her windowsill and it cracked.
soybonita
2006-05-06 11:38:38 UTC
forget about that, think about the heat!! I think you will be ok. San Antonio is awesome!
2006-05-02 16:30:44 UTC
Not hail, but hell for Mexican gangs.You wuld be safer in the Bronx.
kimberly24241999
2006-04-29 19:30:01 UTC
Twisters- I do know
JR
2006-05-04 09:49:50 UTC
just the heat and occasional hail
realtyhomegarden
2006-05-02 03:31:13 UTC
none of the above ha just the humidity here and the heat
2006-04-29 19:31:53 UTC
yeah twisters thats all i know
know-it-all
2006-04-29 19:38:38 UTC
you better get a brick home with a basement, man.