Question:
where to go to mine for gems for fun?
ricdonna
2006-03-28 18:07:49 UTC
we are looking for somewhere to vacation where we can search for gems for fun. we saw places on the travel channel where to go but never wrote them down.
Six answers:
tech_fanatic
2006-03-28 18:26:58 UTC
I know Michigan is a pretty popular place where you can mine for fun. There are also some places like this in the Gatlinburgh/Pigeon Forge area of Tennessee. You will also find some in areas like North Carolina. I had an article at one point that listed several different places that offered this, the most popular ones, but I can't seem to find it. If I can locate it I will list the locations it mentioned.
flkeysgirl2001
2006-03-29 05:18:15 UTC
Ruby Falls is an underground cavern in Chattanooga, TN., there are no gems there, you just tour it.

If you want to do some great gem mining, go to Franklin, N.C., I have only been there once and I found a star sapphire. When it was polished it was worth $350.00 and I had it put into a setting, it was very pretty. Funny you asked this question, I am going up there for a couple of days in May. Good Luck!
2007_Shelby_GT500
2006-03-28 18:19:32 UTC
There was a place in Connecticut I went during Junior High, where you could wander around with a hammer and pound on rocks and collect garnets, which I believe are a semi precious stone.

Sorry I don't remember the name of the place, it was probably about 20 years ago when I was there.
memtk63
2006-03-28 18:31:40 UTC
Arkansas has fields where you can search for real diamonds.

Be warned, it gets very hot & humid there in the summer, but there have been very large diamonds found there!( I believe the largest was over 40 carats)
redsoxfan11x
2006-03-28 18:17:25 UTC
you can mine for rubies and emeralds and sapphires in and around Franklin North Carolina, they have had some really large finds there, see the chamber of commerce website for Franklin and go to www.hiddenitegems.com. have FUN
~Brought to you by popularity!~
2006-03-28 18:10:29 UTC
Ruby Falls... I think it is in Georgia or Tennessee :)